1. Treats urinary tract infection or inflammation accompanied by frequent and painful urination.
2. Relieves factors related to bladder stones, kidney infection, painful or difficult urination, pelvic inflammatory disease, and prostatitis, cystitis, vaginitis.
Chinese Therapeutic Effects
Clears fire and toxins in the lower burner
Drains dampness (diuretic)
Cranberry (man yue mei) enters the kidney, bladder, and large intestine; it promotes urination and drains heat. Corn silk (yu mi xi), Indian plantain (che qian zi), and uva ursi (xiong guo) relieve
damp heat and assist in passing stones. Magnesium is an electrolyte and plays a critical role in kidney detoxification; it can reduce the risk of forming kidney stones. Garlic (da suan) resolves
toxicity, strengthens the spleen, and reduces stagnation. Japanese knotweed (hu zhang) treats heat and supports the bladder, kidneys, and liver. Achyranthes (niu xi) invigorates the blood and Qi.
Gardenia (zhi zi) is one of the premier heat-clearing herbs in the Materia Medica; it also treats irritability, restlessness, and insomnia. Licorice (gan cao) is included for its harmonizing and
detoxification actions. Costus (mu xiang) was added to the classic Ba Zheng San formula by ancient herbalist Zhu Dan Xi, to strengthen the transforming function of the bladder meridian. Chinese
rhubarb (zhi da huang), removes heat through the stool.
1. Practitioners report this formula to be very effective in treating urinary tract infections. Formula should be continued at a reduced dosage for 1 to 2 weeks after symptoms are alleviated.
2. May be useful for lung inflammation, or inflammation associated with emotional stress.
• See also Unlocking.
• Isatis Cooling Formula for urinary tract inflammation and leukorrhea.
• Use Clearing as a long-term follow up to Man Yue Mei Clearing (formerly known as Akebia Moist Heat) for individuals who have chronic UTI or vaginitis.