Treats kidney and bladder stones.
Stone Clearing (reformulated Jin Qian Cao Stone Formula) is a modification of a Chinese patent
medicine (“Passwan” – named presumably for a pill – wan – that helps to pass stones), used to
treat for kidney stones. phyllanthus (Phyllanthus amarus) and related herbs have been used
worldwide for kidney stones and urogenital infections; in TCM it treats damp-heat in the lower
jiao. Bupleurum (chai hu) relieves stagnant qi and helps prevent and dispel stones. Tribulus (ji
li) has been used to treat kidney stones and as an herbal diuretic. Other herbs that vitalize blood
or have diuretic effects, include tienchi ginseng (san qi), Chinese peony (chi shao), and plantago
seed (che qian zi). Phyllanthus, bupleurum (chai hu), Plantago (che qian zi), yin-chen wormwood
(yin chen hao), and Chinese peony (chi shao) eliminate damp heat. Gardenia (zhi zi) and Plantago
(che qian zi) clear heat and toxins. Bupleurum (chai hu), tienchi (san qi), and licorice (gan cao)
have an anti-inflammatory effect. Bupleurum, Tienchi ginseng and Chinese peony (chi shao)
promotes blood circulation. Tienchi ginseng is also traditionally used to reduce swelling and pain.
1. This formula dissolves stones slowly over time.
2. Western medicine is of importance when the condition is serious, i.e. severe pain or acute
inflammation or threat of the stone entering the urethra.
3. General course of treatment is six months to one year.
4. Generous amounts of water should be taken by patients taking this formula to increase its
effectiveness and to obviate fluid depletion.
5. Traditionally combined with cornsilk tea (Yu Mi Xu).